Mercy Eye Center
General Pre-Surgical and Post-Surgical Instructions
Your ophthalmologist will give you specific instructions for your surgical procedure. Ask any questions about pre- or post-surgical requirements before the day of surgery. Pre-Surgical Guidelines
- Make sure you have completed any required tests or labs and check with our office to make sure we have received the results.
- Do not use aspirin, ibuprofen or any other blood thinners for 5 days prior to your procedure unless otherwise instructed.
- Do not eat or drink anything after midnight the night before your scheduled procedure unless otherwise instructed.
- Have someone accompany you to your appointment and be able to drive you home from the appointment.
- Do not wear any facial piercings, make-up, or facial lotion on the day of your procedure.
- Plan to return home and rest following your procedure.
- Do not drive or operate heavy machinery for at least 12 hours following your procedure.
- Follow your doctor’s orders regarding over-the-counter or prescription pain medication.
- Schedule prescribed follow-up appointments as soon as possible following your surgery.
- Call our office if you become nauseous or begin vomiting after the surgery, if you experience sudden sharp pain that is not alleviated by pain medication, or if you develop a rash or spike a high fever.
- Wash your hands carefully before touching your eye area.
- Be careful to not rub or put pressure on the surgical area.
- Wear any patches, goggles, or glasses as prescribed following the procedure.
- Avoid any strenuous exercise for one week following your surgery.
- Plan to avoid swimming for approximately one month following surgery unless otherwise advised.
- Avoid applying lotion or makeup around your eyes for a few weeks following your procedure unless otherwise advised.