Search our collection of healthy and delicious recipes.
Apples and Pears Caramel
This is great for people of all ages. Kids love the caramel, and others like
the fact that this is a dessert with real fruit. Great for the holidays, and
grandchildren will enjoy helping you make the topping.
Ingredients for Fruit
3 apples and 2 pears
3 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
7 pinches of ground cloves
7 tablespoons of brown sugar
8 pads of butter
¼ cup orange juice
¼ cup apple juice
Lemon (for juice)
Ingredients for Caramel Topping
3 tablespoons cream
18 to 24 caramel squares
- Remove the top half of the apple skin and remove the
- Cut pears in half and remove seeds and make a small
- Butter the bottom of an au gratin dish, and place fruits
in the dish.
- Pour the orange and apples juices in the bottom of the
- Squeeze lemon juice all over the fruits so that they
don’t turn brown.
- In the center of each fruit, place: one pad of butter, 1
tablespoon of brown sugar, ½ teaspoon cinnamon, 1 pinch cloves, raisins. A
little bit of extra butter on top will taste good, but do this only if you’re
not concerned about the additional fat and calories.
- Place in a 350 degree oven for 55 minutes. While it’s
baking, you can prepare the topping.
- Remove from oven and cover with caramel topping.
Directions for caramel topping
- Unwrap caramel squares.
- Place in saucepan.
- Begin to heat and stir.
- Add cream.
- Continue to stir until thin and melted.
- Pour over fruits and serve.
Senior Citizens Magazine, December 2001.