Search our collection of healthy and delicious recipes.
Oven Fried Chicken
Take this chicken to your Labor Day picnic or family reunion. It tastes fried, but it’s baked in the oven.
½ cup skim milk or buttermilk
1 teaspoon of poultry seasoning
1 cup cornflakes, crumbled
1 ½ tablespoons onion powder
1 ½ tablespoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons black pepper
2 teaspoons dried hot pepper, crushed
1 teaspoon ground ginger
8 pieces of skinless chicken (4 drumsticks, 4 breasts)
1 teaspoon vegetable oil for greasing baking pan
A few shakes of paprika
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Add ½ of the poultry seasoning to the milk.
3. Combine all other spices with cornflake crumbs and place in a plastic bag.
4. Wash chicken and pat dry. Dip chicken into milk, shake to remove excess, then quickly shake in bag with seasoning and crumbs.
5. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
6. Remove from refrigerator and sprinkle lightly with paprika for color.
7. Space chicken evenly on baking pan.
8. Cover with aluminum foil and bake 40 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking an additional 30 or 40 minutes or until the meat can be easily pulled away from the bone with a fork. The drumsticks may require less baking. Do not turn chicken during baking.
Makes 6 servings. Serving size equals ½ breast or two small drumsticks.
Nutrient Analysis: Calories, 256; total fat, 5 grams; saturated fat, 1 gram; cholesterol, 82 milligrams; sodium, 286 milligrams.