Search our collection of healthy and delicious recipes.
This stew is made with lean beef and cabbage. Perfect for the chilly nights
1 ¼ pound lean beef stew meat, trimmed of fat, cut in 1-inch pieces
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 large onion, thinly sliced
1 ½ cups water
¾ teaspoon caraway seeds
½ teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1 bay leaf
¼ cup white vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
½ small head red cabbage, cut into 4 wedges
¼ cup gingersnaps, crushed
1. Brown meat in oil in heavy skillet. Remove meat and sauté onion in
remaining oil until golden.
2. Return meat to skillet. Add water, caraway seeds, salt, pepper and bay leaf.
Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1¼ hours.
3. Add vinegar and sugar, and stir. Place cabbage on top of meat. Cover and
simmer an additional 45 minutes.
4. Remove meat and cabbage, arrange on a platter and keep warm.
5. Strain drippings from skillet and trim off fat. Add water to dripping to
yield 1 cup of liquid.
6. Return to skillet with crushed gingersnaps. Cook and stir until thickened
mixture boils. Pour over meat and vegetables and serve.
Makes 5 servings.
Total fat: 7 grams
Saturated fat: 2 grams
Cholesterol: 60 milligrams
Sodium: 323 milligrams
Fiber: 2 grams
Protein: 24 grams
Carbohydrates: 14 grams
Potassium: 509 milligrams
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute