Search our collection of healthy and delicious recipes.
Here's a good way to use fresh tomatoes in a spicy cold soup.
2 large fresh tomatoes, peeled and cored
1 large cucumber, halved
1 green pepper, halved and seeded
1 medium onion, peeled and halved
3 cups tomato juice
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
¼ teaspoon hot pepper sauce, such as Tabasco
¼ teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 to 4 cloves of garlic, minced
Makes about 6 servings.
1. In a blender or food processor, puree half the cucumber, one tomato, half
the green pepper, half the onion and 1 cup tomato juice.
2. Pour puree into a large bowl and add the remaining tomato juice, vinegar,
oil, pepper sauce, salt, pepper and garlic.
3. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
4. Chop the remaining vegetables, cover and refrigerate until serving time.
5. Just before serving, stir chopped vegetables into the puree.
6. Serve chilled.
University of Missouri Extension Service