Search our collection of healthy and delicious recipes.
Here’s a good way to use fresh tomatoes in a spicy cold
2 large fresh tomatoes, peeled and cored
1 large cucumber, halved
1 green pepper, halved and seeded
1 medium onion, peeled and halved
3 cups tomato juice
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
¼ teaspoon hot pepper sauce, such as Tabasco
¼ teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 to 4 cloves of garlic, minced
Makes about 6 servings.
- In a blender or food processor, puree half the cucumber,
one tomato, half the green pepper, half the onion and 1 cup tomato juice.
- Pour puree into a large bowl and add the remaining
tomato juice, vinegar, oil, pepper sauce, salt, pepper and garlic.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- Chop the remaining vegetables, cover and refrigerate
until serving time.
- Just before serving, stir chopped vegetables into the
- Serve chilled.
Missouri Extension Service