Mercy is the first and only health system in our region to offer 3D Mammography.
With more clear and precise full breast images, radiologists can better distinguish harmless abnormalities from real tumors. Fewer false positives mean less anxiety for women and fewer follow-up mammograms or possible biopsies.
3D mammograms are covered by all major insurances accepted at Mercy hospitals, as a screening mammogram. Get started by filling out the form to the right to request an appointment at one of our two convenient locations.
Benefits of 3D Mammography
- Easier Detection: Our radiologists can carefully go through each one millimeter layer of compiled 3D breast tissue images to more accurately screen for and pinpoint the size, shape and location of potential breast cancers.
- Earlier Detection: Helps physicians detect smaller tumors sooner - at the earliest stages of breast cancer.
- Better Visualization: Shows the breast in slices, making it easier to see a hidden or small cancer, especially in women with dense breasts. Reduces or eliminates problems caused by dense tissue overlap.
- Fewer call backs: Can help distinguish harmless abnormalities from real tumors, leading to fewer callbacks and less anxiety for women. Reduction in false positives, meaning less anxiety and fewer biopsies. Reduction in the amount of callbacks for women to have follow up mamms because the imaging is much clearer and more precise, enabling the physician to find any issues on the spot.
- More comprehensive: When cancer is detected in one breast, 15% of women have another tumor in the same breast or the other breast. 3D Mammography screens the whole breast, and not just the problem area as is done with a diagnostic mammogram.
Benefits of going to the Women's Center at St. Anne or St. Charles
- All screening mammograms are performed using 3D Mammography, ensuring every woman receives the highest standard of care.
- Women have the option to receive a phone call with their results within 48 hours of the exam. A letter is automatically sent to all women. If abnormal results are found, a woman is also automatically contacted.
- If an issue is found, a woman is scheduled within 48 hours for follow up diagnostics. Multi-disciplinary clinical staff is on hand to ensure all necessary tests and follow ups are conducted on that day.
- The Women's Center also has a patient navigator to help guide women through the process.
- 3D Mammography is covered by all major insurances accepted at Mercy hospitals, as a screening mammogram.